Monday, July 5, 2010

The Prelude

We didn't know if it was a "he" or "she". Me and my wife (Tumpi) thought it is not a good idea to determine the sex before the actual arrival. What it does is, add bit of curiosity as to what to expect. And we found this to be our favourite discussion point when we both sat and thought about the future. Its important for the to-be-mothers to think positive and be joyous and that helped a lot and also prepared us for both.

As for Tumpi, she had for long stopped eating her favourite chicken and fish dishes, but still gained substantial weight in last 2 months. When she stood on the scale for the 9th month check-up with the doctor, she had gained 17 kg. That was 10th June, 2010. The doctor was not worried about the weight but showed bit concern that it was a "BIG BABY" and Tumpi would need to go for a Cesarean (C-Section). We were asked for weekly check-up henceforth and to decide on probable dates around 25th June. We decided 24-06-2010. This is the best part of C-Section - for me, I knew when to take off and there is no uncertainty; for Tumpi - she doesn't need to wait for the labour pains; and for the to-be born, his granny ensured that his stars are all aligned at birth.

We arrived at Manipal Hospital, Bangalore on 23rd June around 10pm. Then on, the nurses and the resident doctors started their routine checks on Tumpi as well as on the baby. They started preparing her for the Operation (C-Section) from 2am and at 4, she was all set. I was able to take an hrs nap in the meantime. When we arrived at the O.T at 520 am, we were happy but bit tense. She signed the final "Consent" papers, and then was taken in at 605am. As I sat on the Waiting Lounge outside the O.T, I dint know what to think or expect or when should I expect some news, only thing I said to myself was "AAL IZZ WELL", something we have been saying a lot since Dec 2009. Dada and both set of parents were also waiting downstairs.

At 650am, some doctor came out and asked for "MAHA...SWETA" "MAHA...SWETA", I walked up and he started saying something to my ear, a nurse slipped through a tray with a kid! As I looked, I thought if it is a "he" or a "she", the doctor showed the tag and unwrapped the towel.

I called up Dada and said "ITS A BOY".

I attained fatherhood on 24th June 2010 at 628am. Life would never be the same ever again, I knew my world would now on, revolve around him and his wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment